Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Now that she is forty

Cammie 'n Chris' Wedding Day


Cammie was born on September 29, 1974. Of my three children she was the most difficult to bring into the world. I labored for twenty-four hours before she came hollering into the world.  But I did not care about the pain, God had given me a baby girl. After the much easer births of David and Jonathan, the exquisite pain was a surprise. The joys that came later were just as amazing. 

My mother taught me to sew when I was about twelve years old. It was a skill I needed, too because Allen and I were so poor when we first got married. I got pregnant very soon after the marriage certificate was signed. Married November 22, 1967, first baby boy born August 25, 1968, David Wroyston. My quickly expanding waistline required new clothing and we could not afford a whole new wardrobe. I was working in a Head Start program and had to have maternity outfits to accommodate my growing belly. Allen purchased for me a Singer sewing machine in the most popular color, light blue. Back then fabric and patterns were not as expensive as they are now and I was able to make all the clothes I needed for my job and for my new position in life--an expectant mother.

Jonathan was born two years later, in 1970 and I had lots of fun making matching blazers for him and David when they were just toddlers. The jackets even had fancy insignias sewn on to the breast pockets. I have photographs of them smiling into the camera, all dressed up for church. 

When Cammie arrived I was eager to get out the Singer sewing machine and make some pretty little things for my infant daughter. Making girls' clothes is much more fun than making coats for little boys. Before she was born I made diminutive t shirt type garments with a drawstring closure on the bottom to keep Baby from kicking off the covers and getting her tiny legs cold. Later came romper suits in all sorts of bright colors and patterns. My favorite pattern was one that crisscrossed  in the back and buttoned on the shoulders. The back was open and showed off matching bloomers.

By the time Cammie was a toddler we were living in Lakeland and I was teaching High School English. I would often take her with me to basket ball or baseball games. Friends from that time  still remember that beautiful little three-year-old with softly curling blond hair, inquisitive blue eyes, and a fearless drive to know everything about the world she inhabited.  She was a delight!
And still is. 




No comments:

Post a Comment