Thursday, August 7, 2014

So What Did YOU Do Today?


The question comes from someone who has been gone all day, busy with the business of providing for the family. Someone who does not know how much work goes into "keeping house".

WHAT DID I DO ALL DAY?! It sounds a bit like an accusation. Maybe I did nothing but lie in bed all day and read, sipping on a cup of hot tea and nibbling on a large slice of home made lemon pound cake. Maybe. But I didn't. Your underwear is clean, folded and stacked in your dresser. Your dress shirts are washed, dried, ironed and hung in your closet, organized by color. I made you a hot breakfast, served with a mug of hot coffee. The kitchen was cleaned. The bathroom was clean. The towels for your morning shower were stacked in the linen closet. Heaps of news papers were removed from your library to recycling. Healthy, hot, homemade dinner was waiting for you when you got home from work. 

This activity represents what I do some days. Other days I work in the yard. Take care of the patio garden, organize stuff for Book Club, organize the dinner for Shepherding Group. I take photos of friends for special events, edit and deliver them. I plan trips for us, make reservations. I volunteer at Nathan & Jacqueline's school. Some days I play with our granddaughter, Maggie all morning. I read to her. Let her play Doc McStuffin with me. 

I do stay busy all day. Some of the things I do don't seem that important, but all together, it makes for an orderly household and enriches the lives of my family.

 What did I do all day? Enough that I think I'm going to need that afternoon nap today.

No comments:

Post a Comment