Saturday, August 2, 2014

The cure for what ails you.

It's official. I'm now diabetic. I am over the hill and slowly descending the other side. On my birthday this month I will be seventy. I am officially an Old Person. I can now joint the ranks of those whose constant delight is to talk endlessly about their medications, surgeries, and general decline. The scary thing is that I now enjoy these conversations.

I went to see Dr. Martinez and she looked at my numbers over the last year and the news was not good. I did a glucose tolerance test last week and some of those numbers were in red, declaring that medication was needed. When I saw her about four months ago, we decided I'd try exercise and a better diet, but that did not work so now I have three new medications to take. That doubles the number of pills I'm now taking. AM and PM pills for diabetes and one for blood pressure.

See, what did I tell you? I'm an official Old Person. I talk about my health in great detail. Are you bored yet?

I left the Watson Clinic depressed and angry that my body is letting me down. I thought maybe I'd be the exception and I could live for ever. I see pictures of long-time friends on Facebook and I'm amazed how old they look. I guess I just look in the mirror to put on make-up and I don't really see my face. However, there is my son, David who loves to take photographs with the camera the got for Christmas last year. His pictures of me show a fat old woman. David is a master of taking unflattering pictures and posting them on Facebook. He is better at landscapes than people, but I fear his pictures of me are accurate.

I left Watson Clinic about 9:30 AM and had not had breakfast. I headed north on 98 and saw just what I was seeking: IHOP! In defiance of my newly declared physical state I pulled into the parking lot knowing full well what I was going to order when I got inside. I got a healthy omelet with spinach and two blueberry pancakes. "Don't put that gooey blueberry stuff on the top. Just the fresh blueberries." I used a minimal amount of blueberry syrup. MMMMMM! It was the best breakfast I've had in a coon's age! I won't do it again. I'll get my medication. I'll take my pills. I'll exercise daily. I watch the amount of carbs I eat, but that one last breakfast was worth every carb, fat and calorie I put in my mouth. The memory of it still makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment