Friday, May 2, 2014

Sticker shock!

I went to the bank today to pick up the British pounds I ordered a few days ago and the cool, shocking truth nearly knocked me over! If I say  $1.70 in American money will buy you one British pound, that does not sound so bad. Not being much of a mathematician I was not prepared for the small envelope they gave be back for the big stack of American dollars I gave them. If we really are the most powerful nation in the world, our currency does not seem to have the punch it should have.

I guess I'll just have to look up at the Tower of London, Westminster Abby, up at palaces, and art galleries, and especially the British Museum and not look down to see the $$$ bleeding from my purse. Anyway, I have been warned. Here's a quote from Luxe City Guide for London: "On a budget? Don't come to London. In London on a budget? Start crying. This city is one huge cash removal zone--either put up or shut up." Nice, eh?

On the up-side, most of the museums and art galleries are free. Walking in those ancient streets is also free.  Walking around Kensington Gardens is free. For all the rest, I'm willing to step up to the plate and plunk down my fresh supply of pounds for all those historic and amazing things to see. I want to see the Crown Jewels, the Globe Theater, Oxford and much, much more. I have been saving my $$$$ just for this purpose and now is time to spend without whining. I plan to enjoy myself immensely.

Five day and counting.

1 comment:

  1. Comment from Louree's cousin on your money exchange writing.
    "worth every quid - keep your return ticket in your shoe ......"

    ReplyDelete