Friday, December 30, 2011

Granny-Nanny & Nathan Mind the Baby

Cammie was having unusual pain in her belly and other indications that she might have an infection. She went to the doctor this morning so Nathan & I were in charge of Baby Maggie. (Jacqueline spent the night at Katie's house.) It was the longest Cammie had left her since giving birth.

Maggie woke with a bang, or maybe explosion would be more accurate. She had spent the early morning hours in the bed with her mama and when I picked her up I saw a large round yellow circle on the sheets, a herald of more mess yet to discover. I felt a dampness on the back of her clothes saw that from her neck to her bum, her outfit was soaked from the inside with soupy yellow poo. I rushed to the bathroom and filled the sink with warm water. I removed the sopping diaper, then reached for the toilet paper, but the roll was empty, so I turned her over and ran water over her back side. "Nathan! get some toilet paper! No! Get me a clean baby wash cloth. I can't wash her head with this poopy cloth. I need to run some clean water! Nathan! Hand me that towel to put under her!" By this time all the stinky clothes were off and she had goose bumps and was crying. Hurry! Hurry! Get her washed and get the clothes back on. Don't get the dried up umbilical cord wet. Get all the soap off! Wrap her up.
I carried her to the changing table and Nathan found a clean out fit. I was drying her off and getting ready to diaper her when she squirted out some more of that yellow stuff. Wipe again! Quick! Get a diaper on her! Pull on the clean outfit. Cuddle up! Quiet the baby. Quiet Granny-Nanny. Let's sit down, Nathan. No, can't sit down yet, we need to warm a bottle. I'm sure she's hungry!

Everything after that was easy! Cammie was gone most of the day getting antibiotics intravenously at the doctor's office because she did indeed have an infection. She came home with aching boobs and a serious need to pump! Sweet Maggie Iris was ready for a cuddle with her Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment